Monday, September 3, 2012

Value Studies

Whenever I try and do digital paintings, I always read people telling me to start in grey-scale. Most of the time they skip from their rough pencil drawing to their full tonal and value image, ready to be colored. Well, that was the step I always failed at, getting my value down. So, In failing again, I decided to paint from a picture instead of from my head. It is a lot easier for me to paint traditionally rather than digitally, so I am going to do some still life paintings to get better digitally (not that I am a very good painter traditionally on canvas either though).

First up is an egg, and it probably took me about an hour. Done in ArtRage, with the felt pen set to the preset "hard tip".

With border and initial sketch


Without

No comments:

Post a Comment